CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Finally posting pics from last year's 62 miler

Outside Mountain Crossings and at the base of Blood Mountain.

The Walsisi-Yi center or "Mountain's Crossings" was our only showering location and offered a nice resupply break from the grind.  After descending Blood mountain my toes and feet were so blistery that I questioned my ability to do 30 more miles.  I wondered if I shouldn't take a day off and get a ride to our next "checkpoint" or switch to my tennis shoes.  I laundered my clothing and felt like a brand new man.

What I remember about the Raven Cliffs Wilderness was that it was the least maintained segment that we crossed.  The dewy grass that hung out over the trail soaked some shoes.  I was wearing gaiters and stayed dry.  All the other sections had been trimmed a little to keep the weeds from hanging over the trail. 

After ascending from Tesnatee Gap we did a 1000foot climb to Hog Pen Gap.  There was a tent site just north east of the road where we took this picture. 

A cool rocky outcropping was a great place to take a quick breather and take a pic.  Many times the trail is cut into the side of a cliff with deadly drop offs. 

This is the plaque located at Unicoi Gap.  I was glad to see it.  Hikers are always looking for some kind of reward for their efforts.  This was cool and old looking.  Love the motto associated with the trail, "For those who seek fellowship with the wilderness."

0 comments: