CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 19, 2008


I'm reposting these links. The ones at the bottom were tied to a myspace warning page that informs you that you are leaving myspace. These are the best resources I know of for section and thru hiking.




  • http://www.nps.gov/appaTake a look at the strip map! --You truly get an idea of the amazing distance involved as you scoll down state after state 2200miles!!

  • http://www.appalachiantrail.org/ The trail is managed by volunteers and hiking clubs that live near their particular section of trail. This is the official AT site that organizes their efforts. Just as states manage roads, volunteers along the AT manage their particular section. This isalso the best source for all things AT in terms of current news/trailconditions and maps etc can be found.

  • http://www.whiteblaze.net/ Perhaps my favorite site. It is a wealth of news and info. This is a newsgroup and blog for AT enthusiasts. Very family friendly. Primarily for thruhikers but great for section hikers too. Good reviews on gear, what to take what to leave, data and schedules, topo maps, pictures and a ton more.

  • http://www.backpacking.net/27-pound.htmlThis is a good starting place when it comes to acquiring the right gear. Not that this is a definitive AT list. I just stumbled upon this and found it useful. I have a substantially different set of gear already. He's a tent user I am a hammock guy. He's going for the $280 sleeping bag. I will not etc. Either way it is anexcellent list. The guy has obviously thought this through and has experience.

  • hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html guy is a pretty regular guy on whiteblaze.net. I will be using a Hennessy Hammock if trial runs go well. My Dad has one I'm either going to swipe from him or just use to try out. I think this guy helps moderate the whiteblaze.net site as well. Take a look at his excel spreadsheets hiking plans and info on the hennessy hammock. cool stuff. some of the links are old/dead

0 comments: