CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The tough part of "The How."


Just look at this thing! This is most definitely a life-long pursuit! My first 2 years of going will barely get me out of Georgia. This is going to require tremendous dedication.Continuing my comments about what I have and do not have. What I need and what I want are obviously in 2 totally different categories. I found it a very difficult task to separate the two. So let's start with my perceived needs.

In my last post I listed the items that I needed and already own.

  1. One item that is a MUST is a sleeping system. The main thing is a shelter. I don't have one! Not for 1 to 2 people. I have one that sleeps 5-8 comfortably but not 1. I have researched this extensively. I have field tested sleeping bags, tents and pads/cots and other sleeping/shelter options. I have discovered that I don't sleep all that well on the ground. I slept well when I had an air mattress but I won't have one of those at the top of Springer Mountain in the last week in August. Instead I am going to try out the Hennessy Hammock. My Dad has one. My parents are moving to Crestview in August and when they come they will be bringing it with them. I will field test it to see what my sleep is like. If it works well this will be an excellent lightweight shelter. It comes fully bug proof and has a rain fly to boot.
  2. Sleeping bag. I have a wally world bag. It's reasonably light but bulky and doesn't compress much. I might be able to squeak by on this for a year, but I see this as a long term weight and space saving item. Problem is a decent lightweight bag is around 85 bux and up. Because this is an item that will go with my Hennessy Hammock I will use the less compressible and more water resistant/dryable synthetic bag. They tend to run heavier but late summer is not an issue so I can go for a 45 degree bag and then add a fleece liner and or a home made silk or cotton liner to add layers of warmth.
  3. Backpack rain cover. This is pretty self explanitory
  4. Titanium pot for cooking

0 comments: