CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Next up. . . HOW?

The how is somewhat tricky, because I don't know yet. It is about 350 miles from home. . .






So assuming $5.00/gal gas and 32 gallons needed for the round trip at 22mpg it's gonna cost around $160 bux.



What I have that will work and doesn't need replaced. This is not an inclusive list.


  1. A 4000 cubic inch North Face internal frame pack. It's a dual compartment, not the lightest but it has worked well before and has a lot of good features. It's about 10 years old but in good shape.
  2. Water filtration system. I can drink any water from anywhere with the one I have. It's a water bottle with a basic filter and then a 2 micron filter. I drop an iodide tab in and squeeze it through the filter and it removes all the iodine flavor. Tastes like purified water. I have tested this in the river close by.
  3. Boots. . . . A hiker's most important asset. Also North Face. I researched this for months. I read reviews and ratings from magazines. In the end when I was teetering between the ones I bought and some other highly rated Marmot's I went with these because I found an ebayer selling them for 50 bux off. I have field tested these and they are excellent. My only complaint is that I live in Florida and these are a tad warm. They have the new Gortex and are water proof. Either way they are excellent. I just used them for 2 straight days here at a scout camp in 95+ degree heat and humidity. They were outstanding. The heat had me in my crocs any time I wasn't hiking, just kicking it around the camp site. They are fully waterproof. I stood in a running stream in foot deep water for 4 minutes and no leaks. Overall very pleased.
  4. Maps, I've got em for the first 3 legs of the trips. I've google earthed the first 3 trips. I purchased these maps at a hiking outfitter.
  5. Misc. Items: First aid kit, hand made from various lists that I have read about on the web made light for backpacking. It is surprisingly extensive but compact. All of it is zipped in a ziploc bag a backpackers best friend. Rain poncho, hiking socks, smart wool, and liners. Bear bag for food and para-cord. Long story short. I have a lot of misc. stuff. I just don't have everything I need just yet.
  6. Cooking system. This one is only partially true. I could get by with what I have but I don't like the one I have. I have a Walmart Coleman propane canister and portable stove. I have a "stick free" aluminum frying pan and that's it. I also have a small alcohol stove that could be used too. It is not an energy efficient version. It's more like a sterno stove. The good part is that it is very compact and the fuel is relatively cheap albeit kind of heavy. What I like about the Coleman Walmart stove is the accessibility of the fuel, and the variable rate of cooking temp. What I hate about the stove is the weight and the not so compact or conveniently stored, cooking surface. This is where an MSR ultralight or a Jetboil would be handy. I like the Jetboil but am not sure if I like the one temp thing. I suppose if I had to just warm something up I could just put it over an open fire for a minute. I feel an upgrade coming here if the funds are there. This brings me to my next section. . . . . What I don't have and must be purchased prior to the trip and the wants

0 comments: