CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Me and my Dad the night before we began.  June week 1, 2009

The view from inside my hammock looking down toward my feet.  I went to walmart and purchased a length of flannel and folded it in half, had it sewn like a sleepingbag with no zipper.  Think long wide flannel sleeping back liner.  It's all I took.  Looking back that was a good move.  If it had turned cold I would have been in a little trouble.  May adjust for future hikes. I just hate to add the weight. 

This little archway is the unofficial beginning at Amicalola Falls State Park.  This is where it all starts. 

The Amicalola Falls.  The total climb from the base to top is over 900 feet and presented quite a challenge for the group who loaded down with too much water and gear.  We were gung ho and didn't pace well. 

Here's one that stopped for  a breather.

About half way up and I was already dripping wet with sweat.

Past the falls we hopped on a blue blaze trail approach trail that was 8 miles from the official start of the AT, Springer Mountain.  We ascended the falls and planned to stop at Frosty Mountain, which was only about 3 miles up. 

Saw a few dozen of these little centipede type creatures.  Scientific name is Apheloria Virginiensis

This picture does little justice to the view and angle that I was going for for the shot, but this is very typical of the trail, craggy rocky and nearly straight up at times.  To do this for a week you gotta decide this is something you really want to do. 

I looked down and saw this white granite and had to do a double-take.  It almost looked like snow among all the ivy.  

On top of Frosty Mountain, night number 1 we were moving some rocks around and saw these two cool looking salamanders. 

We got a bit of a late start on camp on night number one because the water source was a good 300 yards back down the mountain.  This caused delays in dinner and hammock setup.  I have to admit as I crawled into the hammock I wondered what the week would bring and how much I might continue to enjoy it if every day went like the first. 

A view of the Hennessy Hammock and my Frosty mountain setup.  Bear bags were in place and it quickly cooled off so I crawled up into my hammock for a night of log sawing with my fleece and beenie.  OOH.  Do not forget to keep a set of soft ear plugs for camping!  I normally sleep with a fan at home and so all the sounds of the animals, other snoring campers and birds, as well as wind in the trees is actually rather annoying.  The earplugs helped me zonk. 

Lots of snails all over the trail.  Here's one on a oak leaf. 

The scout group, Todd Miller, Justin Mozina, Andrew Linares, T.J. Miller

random flora

A shady section of trail.  I brought sunglasses but as you can see here there are very few sections that would require it.  I really didn't need them all week and should have left them in the car. 

I think this was Stover Creek shelter.  Can't remember. We stopped to use one of the many outdoor privies (toilets) tied to each shelter.  It's not much but it is slightly better than going in the woods and having to bury it. 

0 comments: